Session 5 Blog: Identity-Making in Social Media


Source: www.scoop.it/t/online-identity-by-aimee-wright


Have you ever experienced something like this? After adding a new friend in social media, the first thing you would like to do is to glance over the content in his or her social media account to learn more about this person. Or you establish the first impression of someone through his or her social media posts, yet you find the person is quite different from what you thought when you meet each other offline. This process of social media, to some extent, has become an effective way for us to understand and evaluate others. Therefore, identity-making is of much importance when we talking about social media, as it can not only effects other’s impression on you, it also helps discover yourself.


To be honest, at first I just use the social media platform like WeChat to share my daily life and keep in touch with my friends. Most of the content I posted in “moments” was pretty casual, without carefully designed or specific purpose to show who I am. Nevertheless, as the friend circle enlarged and more social media platform I was engaged in, I gradually pay more attention to the online identity-making. Like other young people, I am playing various self-roles in different social media platforms. For instance, I prefer to share delightful and interesting parts of my daily life in WeChat with my friends to keep a positive personal image, while in Weibo I become a crazy fans to talk about my idol and explore my personal interests since there is place without parents, bosses and colleagues. In LinkedIn, however, I have to be as professional as possible in order to establish networks and attract attention from HR. When we look at our smartphone screen, it is just like looking at the mirror. I’m pretty sure that all the identities I presented online are various angles of myself and my life, but is this “social image” the real me? How do people form the identity they want be in social media? Now, it is time to stop checking your social media status updates and think about why all these things take place.

Source: www.scoop.it/t/online-identity-by-aimee-wright

After reading Identity-Making: A multimodal Approach for Researching Identity in Social Media, I came to notice the deeper theoretical and philosophical roots of identity presented in social media, where is not “just a place for self-presentation, but becomes an active part of how people form identities and how they come to understand themselves”. In the article, the authors derive a framework and distinguish three modes of identity-making: reflective, narrative and active. I found the narrative one really interesting, as the narration is how “we come to know, understand, and make sense of the world” and our everyday life events can be given meanings. In my opinion, it is reasonable for people to narrate themselves into the shared stories to show some aspects of themselves. One of my friend once made a “WeChat Book” for me as my birthday present, which recorded the most impressive posts in my WeChat moments for the past a few years and it is just looks like my own autobiography. I really love this “book” which remind me of how I got to where I am today and I guess I may share it with my child one day in the future >.<

In the discussion of identity-making in social media, I stand on the side of non-essentialism and believe in the constructivism theory in social sciences. When we take part in various social practices and contexts, the self can be continuously being constituted and reaffirmed. However, we may sometimes get lost in the multiple identities in social media and forget the real self. We are in a dilemma in social media--it is not necessary to consider how other people think of you all the time, but what does social mean if we only focus on yourself?



Comments

  1. Hi Xiaoxue,

    I agree with your point that how we get to "know" people these days has already been largely affected by how we perceive about the content they posted online. I especially enjoy reading your examples of how diversified the focus of your content varied on different social media platform-WeChat, Weibo or LinkedIn. That being said, maybe it's time for all the netizens of our era to start regaining some faith in ourselves that as long as we could stay true to ourselves-- be aware of who we really are regardless of all the virtual presence online, it's not gonna be too bad that we may have "accidentally" created multiple self-identities online- they may have more or less already become part of our identities or labels whether we like it or not.

    Thanks for the previous comment on my blog btw.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really agree with your idea that it's time for us to start regaining some faith in ourselves and be aware of who we really are. Thanks for your inspiring comment.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog pictures, really cute but realistic. Those reminds me of the interesting video named "WeChat moments vs reality" on youtube. Here is the link :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83MG4sH1n8
    Although this video is kind of exaggerated, but it does indicate how people try to showcase their identity-making. Admittedly, people are easily to be influenced by the other people especially their peer friends. It seems to me that people is controlled by the invisible rules. As what you have mentioned, Linkedin makes people more professional and WeChat makes people more cautious ,etc. What do you think of those rules and do you think people make the rules themselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for sharing this interesting video Boen:) In my point of view, different social media platforms do have different main functions and styles, which are related to the basic establishment idea of the platform. Yet the users can still decide how they behave in the social media context by themselves and perhaps everyone obeys their own "rules".

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Session 4 Blog: Further Thoughts on Corporate Social Media Strategy

Session 2 Blog: Views on Technology and Social & Communicative Aspects