MSTU 5003_Final Project documentation







Summary:


This project will be a portfolio website for Columbia University Chinese Soccer Team.


  • Personal Intention





For me, I am a sports fan and I have paid much attention to some official websites for professional football clubs I love. Additionally, as a manager of Columbia University Chinese Soccer team, creating and operating social media platforms like WeChat official account and Instagram account, as well as seeking for sponsorship are important parts of my daily work. 


For my final project of this semester, I came up with an idea of creating a portfolio website for our soccer team. On the one hand, it will be a good chance for me to introduce my soccer team to others and attract new commercial cooperations. On the other hand, I am going to graduate this semester and step into the society, so I made this website in memory of those precious time I spent with my friends. This website can be regarded as a graduation gift for both my team and myself at the time I'm saying goodbye to my school days.



  • Design Purpose


The design purpose of this project is to make a responsive website for a sports team with simple and stylish interface. I chose the theme color blue to reflect Columbia blue. The website is composed of three sections - Home page, About and Photo. It will show basic text introduction of the team, promotional video, photo gallery, latest news link and links to other social media platforms. It is worth mentioning that all the content materials in this website are created by myself, including the introduction text, news report, logo (designed by my friend and me), photos (which I took for my team during this two years) and promotional video (directed, shot and edited by my team member and me).

This design is expected to expand the public awareness of  Columbia Chinese Soccer Team, and to attract potential commercial cooperations for our team's sponsorship. More importantly, this website will be an interactive media record for all the team members that will remind them of the great time that we were being together. This design is for all my dear friends in our soccer team.

  • Intended Audience
students and faculty of Columbia University, people who love soccer/sports, sports club, companies who have interests in campus sports team


Design Inspiration:


I have gotten inspiration from my favorite Chinese Football Club - Beijing Sinobo Guoan FC. Here are images for this FC's official account: http://www.fcguoan.com








For the website design, I also found AC MILAN FC official website could be a good example: https://www.acmilan.com/en








Technical Execution:


I create this website mainly based on Bootstrap library for CSS and jQuery library for JavaScript. In addition to these basic frameworks, I also refer to some Bootstrap template and plugins. For example, for the home page slider for the background images, I used a jQuery swipebox plugin and adjusted some parameters in this function.

Another meaningful try is the video background I put in home page, which is my favorite part of this website. At first, I planned to put this video in photo gallery section shown with other photos. While later I came up with a cooler idea to make this auto-playing video as a background in home page. I muted the background music and made a loop for this video, which could provide better user experience. A text layer was added on the video saying our motto "We win as a Team".

As a student who has little coding background, I think that learning from others is necessary in designing my own website. I have browsed various well-designed websites and googled the functions they used. Moreover, as an art lover who has been learning fine arts since a very young age, I paid more attention to aesthetic design of my website. I also really appreciate that our instructor, teaching assistant and my friends who are always willing to answer my questions, offer effective help and encourage me to carry on when I met with technical difficulties.


The github repository link for my website is: 

https://github.com/XiaoxueShirley/MSTU5003-FinalProject



Here I also share a video of browsing the website.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Session 4 Blog: Further Thoughts on Corporate Social Media Strategy

Session 3 Blog: The Era of Big Data is Coming

Session 2 Blog: Views on Technology and Social & Communicative Aspects